Vacancy: IT Business Change Lead
Mundipharma IT Services was formed on 1st January 2012 and provides valuable and professional IT solutions and support to over 70 independent associated companies operating within the pharmaceutical arena around the world. The independent associated companies are a global network of private international businesses that have been owned by the Sackler family since 1952. Mundipharma IT Services is a small IT Company with a global reach which enables us to provide varied developmental and multi-skilling opportunities for our people, whilst being dedicated to supporting our customers to make a difference to patient’s lives.
Mundipharma IT Services works in partnership with IT teams in other independent associated companies within our network, based in places as widespread as the USA, Singapore and Australia. The Global CIO is accountable for the IT delivery of all teams and our continued evolution into a one-team service.
Whilst the independent IT Company was only formed in 2012, a large number of our employees have previously worked in one of our Independent Associated Companies around the globe. This means that we have a culture that has been formed over years of having been part of a Pharmaceutical network of Companies whose aims are to improve patients’ lives. We have our core values and put as strong an importance in our recruitment and development processes on these values as on the technical competence we are also looking for to strengthen our team.
We support Purdue / Mundipharma businesses across four Regions: USA, Canada, LAM (Latin America, Asia Pacific and MENA) and Europe as well as pan-Regional R&D and global Technical Operations (Supply Chain). Our main point of contact with each of these is through a local Head of IT, who is accountable to the business for their IT operations.
We achieve success as a global IT team by being customer focused, value driven and business led. This requires us to work with our end user in mind, always ensure that our activities deliver value to the business in the form of improved and more efficient solutions and, because the value accrues in the business, we must prioritise in line with business needs.
With this geographical spread and the diversity of the businesses we support, effective team working across our IT team is critical in order for us to be successful.
Purdue Pharma L.P.
For our teams based in the USA, the role holders will by employed by Purdue Pharma and based within the Purdue offices in Stamford, Connecticut or in North Carolina.
Founded in 1892 by Doctors John Purdue Gray and George Frederick Bingham as the Purdue Frederick Company, Purdue Pharma L.P. is one of the Companies in the network of IACs receiving IT services from Mundipharma IT Services. With a long tradition of excellence in the area of pain management, the company has approximately $2 billion in sales annually and employs over 1,700 people.
Purdue Pharma is a pioneer in research, products, and medications for alleviating pain, a principal cause of human suffering. The company’s mission is to advance medical care with quality pharmaceutical products in order to improve people’s lives in meaningful ways and meet the evolving needs of healthcare professionals, patients, and caregivers. In addition to ground-breaking work in pain management, Purdue Pharma is also an industry leader in pain medication research and abuse-deterrent technology. In August 2016, Purdue Pharma became the newest member of the National Pharmaceutical Council (NPC), joining other industry leading research based pharmaceutical companies from across the US.
Now, in the changing landscape of healthcare, Purdue Pharma continues to strive for excellence by doing what is right and developing effective medicines that can change the world.
Description of Responsibilities & Activities
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- Understand business strategy and translate this into IT needs, by clearly defining business problems or opportunities and the high-level requirements for IT solutions to address these, so that IT investment opportunities can be appraised effectively in the context of shareholder value, IT service and technology capabilities.
- Work with business stakeholders to identify the business value to be realized from an IT investment to enable the business to decide whether to proceed with investment.
- Create business cases (including financial evaluations) and scoping documents to enable strategic decisions to be made.
- As a trusted adviser, challenge business stakeholders to ensure all options to address a business problem or opportunity are considered.
- Support and enable the development of business change management plans using industry best practice methods and tools to plan, manage and deliver the business changes required to deliver the expected value from investments in IT.
- Support and enable the development of effective communication and stakeholder management plans to ensure the success of any implementation.
- Work with business stakeholders to monitor whether promised business value is realized from IT investments.
IT Strategy Development and Deployment
- Understand current and anticipate future business needs to promote the efficient and appropriate use of existing, proven IT services whilst advising on the use of commodity and differentiating IT solutions.
- Co-ordinate the development of long term IT investment plans agreed with senior business stakeholders and IT executives, and report performance in the context of value realized and outcomes achieved.
- In partnership with the Solution Architects and the Enterprise Architecture team, review and recommend systems retirement and transfer to standard IT facilities.
- Consolidate budget demand for mid-year and year-end planning and budgeting cycle
- Provide an awareness of new or evolving business demands and strategic business focus to partners in IT.
- Responsible for the delivery of first class customer communications from IT to designated customer stakeholders both on a proactive and reactive basis as required.
- Manage, maintain and enhance the reputation of IT on an ongoing basis, in relation to both the success and, in some cases, the challenges of IT service.
- Actively participate in IT projects, providing business analysis expertise to accurately capture functional and non-functional requirements for IT solutions.
- Use of appropriate analytical tools and methods for process review, data analysis, process mapping, business requirements gathering and reporting recommendations.
- Analysis of information gathered to establish feasibility and business impact of initiatives at a strategic and tactical level.
IT-enabled Project Delivery
- Under guidance from the Portfolio and Performance team, agree with the Head of IT which projects will be managed by an IT PM and which will be self-managed.
- Ensure the IT PM has the relevant information, business knowledge and contacts to ensure a successful project implementation.
- Liaise with the IT PM and IT delivery resources allocated to projects to ensure that they are delivering in accordance with business requirements and escalate as appropriate when project delivery is at risk of not delivering to business requirements, costs or agreed timescales.
- Contribute to the planning of testing and implementation of proposed solutions including documenting new capabilities, setting key performance measures and agreeing post-implementation activity.
- Take part in regular customer and IT stakeholder meetings to report progress of the investment portfolio and advise, collate and prioritize new investment in line with strategy.
- Be active member of appropriate Project Boards as defined by investment and stakeholder priorities
- Document and lead post implementation review processes to capture project learns and improvement areas as well as key success factors to strengthen future success. Share learns and successes with the wider IT to enable improvements.
- On self-managed projects, deliver the project management activities and techniques that will enable the project success, in accordance with the governance delivered by the Portfolio and Performance team. Deliver project initiation, project task management, liaison with delivery partnership, risk management, implementation planning and project management process support to the implementation team.
- As required, lead or consult with Business Sponsors or Leads to conduct small scale experiments with new technologies that deliver an unambiguous answer to a business hypothesis, within agreed cost and time constraints.
Lead or consult on non-IT enabled Change Projects:
- Agree a set of changes that will address the root causes identified, deliver a sustained improvement against baseline as articulated in the Business Proposition and Success Statements and can be delivered within agreed time and cost constraints. (Analyse)
- Deliver the agreed changes into the business as the scope agreed with the Business Sponsor. (Analyse)
- Measure impact of changes on business process and use the data to identify and act upon further improvements (Improve)
- Embed the changes into Business As Usual (Control)
- Deliver an Implementation Results Report summarizing the impact of the changes on business performance versus baseline, plus identifies any lessons learned for future projects
Drive continuous improvement in methods and practices:
- Continually improve best practices (e.g. based on lessons learned, external scan) and share these with the others across IT and the business.
Candidate Profile Requirements
Qualifications & knowledge
- Deep knowledge of key business systems, processes, strategies and tactics
- Deep knowledge of IT strategy and a broad understanding of our IT capabilities.
- Deep knowledge of change management, business analysis, facilitation and lean/six sigma tools and best practices.
- Familiarity with and experience of adhering to, the quality principles of GxP and GAMP.
- Project management qualification, or willingness to become qualified upon appointment in to the role.
Experience and skills
- Experience of working in a Pharmaceutical research and development environment.
- Credible business partner; a track record of adding value to the business conversations where strategy is discussed, problems and opportunities are identified.
- Strategic understanding of business and IT; a track record of contributing to and proactively identifying opportunities for IT solutions to enable business strategic goals.
- Value realization; a track record of using industry best practice methods and tools to build robust business cases that clearly define the benefits to be delivered by an investment in IT and then measure benefit realization post implementation and embedding.
- Process improvement: proven expertise in applying lean/six sigma tools and methods to deliver measureable improvement in business process performance
- Courageous and trusted; a track record of constructively challenging business stakeholders to ensure robust decisions, influence business decisions, hold the business to account for value realisation and drive the deployment of TAL technology strategies.
- Change management; proven expertise in identifying and applying change management methodologies & tools to successfully deliver and embed changes in the business, understanding barriers to success and advising on how to navigate and manage them.
- Business analysis; proven expertise in the use of business analysis methods & tools to develop clear, concise functional and non-functional system requirements.
- IT project delivery; a track record of delivering expected business outcomes from projects, on time & on budget, via self-managed projects and in partnership with others.
- Group facilitation; proven expertise in leading and facilitating large teams in workshops to successfully deliver expected outcomes.
- Autonomous working; a track record of working at our own initiative, with limited oversight and input, to deliver expected outcomes that are well aligned with strategic goals.
- Continuously improving self; demonstrate a strong commitment to self-learning and improvement and a commitment to pass experience and learnings to others.
- Relationship Building: Proven ability to build and maintain credible partnerships with stakeholders and become established as trusted and respected IT advisor.
- Clear communication; Proven ability to communicate effectively with individuals and groups at all levels of an organisation, written or verbal form, in all settings.
- Excellent people and interpersonal skills.
- Effective coaching skills.